This is a very quick version of an apricot spread that you can use on biscuits, toast or croissants to make your morning a little brighter. I don’t even add any pectin – the fruit mixture just simmers down until it gets quite thick. This makes only a small batch of jam and is intended to be eaten right away rather than canned. For information on how to make large batches and prepare jars for canning, visit http://www.pickyourown.org/allaboutcanning.htm
Makes approximately 1 cup of jam
- 2 heaping cups of apricots (about 15 small apricots), quartered and pits removed
- Pits from the apricots
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 Tablespoon amaretto liqueur
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup water
- In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, place all ingredients (including pits).
- Bring fruit mixture to a simmer and reduce heat so it is gently simmering (not a hard boil). Simmer for approximately 45 minutes or until fruit has cooked down and started to thicken.
- Remove pits and discard. Let jam cool and use on toast, etc. Can be kept covered in the refrigerator for a few days.
Bon Appetit and Enjoy!