Chives are one of the first fresh herbs to appear in the spring and their mild and delicate flavour works well in many dishes such as eggs, salads and potatoes. Chives are extremely easy to grow in a garden or herb pot and require no real maintenance.
Smoked salmon is a favourite of mine and pairs beautifully with chive cream cheese. Spread the cream cheese on a bagel and top with the salmon for a tasty breakfast. It’s an easy but elegant idea for mother’s day or special occasions. The cream cheese can be made in advance and kept in the fridge.
As an alternative, make appetizers by topping crackers or toast rounds with the cream cheese and salmon. Garnish with chives and serve with a dry sparkling wine or champagne.
Chive Cream Cheese with Smoked Salmon
Makes about 2/3 cup cream cheese – recipe can easily be doubled
- 4 oz. (1/2 package) cream cheese or light cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 Tablespoon cream
- 2 Tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives + extra for garnish
- 1 teaspoon finely minced shallot
- Pinch of salt
- 3-1/2 ounces smoked salmon (about 4 to 6 slices)
- 4 bagels, split in half – optional
- In a mixing bowl, add cream cheese and cream. Using a hand mixer or stand mixer with whisk attachment, beat on high until the cream cheese and cream are combined and smooth, about 1 minute. Stop periodically to clean the beaters with a rubber spatula if necessary.
- Add chives, shallot and salt and beat together on high for about 2 more minutes, until the mixture is creamy.
- Toast the bagels and let cool slightly. Spread each bagel with cream cheese and top with the smoked salmon. Bagels can be made ‘sandwich’ style or as open-faced halves. Garnish with chopped or whole chives.
Variation: to make into appetizers, spread cream cheese on crackers or toast rounds and top with a small piece of smoked salmon. Garnish with chives.
Bon Appétit and Enjoy!