Zucchini is vegetable that a lot of people love to hate. They grow very easily and by the end of the summer in farming areas, there are usually more zucchini than anyone can use! Luckily it is very versatile – because it doesn’t have a strong flavour, it can be used in baked goods, pickles, savoury dishes or just eaten on its own.
This bread is similar to a carrot cake. The zucchini keeps the bread moist so the frosting is not necessary but it I urge you to try it because it really takes it over the top! The frosting can also be used on your favourite carrot cake as well.
Zucchini Bread with Cream Cheese Frosting
Makes 1 loaf
- 1 cup cake and pastry flour (use all purpose flour if you don’t have it)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup neutral vegetable oil, such as canola or safflower
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups grated zucchini (about 1-1/2 medium zucchini)
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Optional – Cream Cheese Frosting (see recipe below)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a standard size loaf pan with a neutral oil and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and sugar. Stir until combined and spices are distributed throughout.
- In a separate small bowl, beat eggs vigorously with a whisk until they are frothy, about 30 seconds. Add eggs to flour mixture.
- Add oil, vanilla and zucchini and mix until combined. Add pecans and raisins and stir until combined.
- Pour batter into loaf pan. Bake for about 45 minutes or until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Let bread cool completely before adding frosting.
Cream Cheese Frosting
This is also perfect for carrot cake. The recipe can easily be doubled.
Makes about 3/4 cup frosting (can easily be doubled)
- 4 oz. cream cheese (1/2 of a block), softened
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 4 teaspoons neutral oil, such as canola or safflower
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Add all ingredients to a large bowl. Using a stand mixer with whisk attachment or with a hand mixer, beat ingredients until smooth, approximately 5 to 7 minutes.
- Spread generously over cooled bread or your favourite cake.
Bon Appetit and Enjoy!