Kitchen Tip of the Week – How to Peel Tomatoes (and Soft Fruit)
It’s prime tomato season right now so many people are interested in canning them or making batches of sauce to preserve through the winter. This method can also be used to peel soft fruit, such as peaches or plums.
How to Peel Tomatoes (or soft fruit)
- Tomatoes or other soft fruit such as peaches or plums
- A large bowl filled with ice water
- A large stockpot, filled with water and brought to a boil
- A sharp knife
- A slotted spoon or colander
- 1. Cut an ‘X’ in the bottom of each tomato with a sharp knife, making sure you cut all the way through the skin
- 2. Place tomatoes in pot of boiling water for approximately 40 seconds
- 3. Using a slotted spoon, remove tomatoes from boiling water and place them immediately in ice water
- 4. Peel skin from the bottom of the tomato – it should pull off without any trouble
- 5. Cut tomatoes in half. Scoop out the seeds trim the stem end. Your tomatoes are now ready to use!