A weekly round up food and drink-related news stories:
1. Are you worried about vampires this weekend? Have no fear! With a reasonably stocked pantry, you’ll have everything you need to ward them off. (Bay Area Bites)
2. Although I do have some design talents, I am terrible at carving pumpkins (mine usually have the standard triangular eyes and nose, a grin with two pointed teeth and angry eyebrows). However, some people are really amazing at it and turn basic pumpkins into works of art. (Graveyard Secrets)
3. We’re all familiar with the basic tastes: sweet, sour, bitter and salty. Then along came umami and now scientists are saying that there is actually a sixth taste known as kokumi. Who knew the tongue was so versatile? (Wikipedia, Toronto Star)
4. With Halloween fast approaching, no doubt many adults will be sneaking some of the treats as well (like my favourite – miniature chocolate bars!). Is candy evil – or just misunderstood? (New York Times)
5. Why not make your own creepy Meat Head for Halloween? It also makes a great conversation piece at dinners with the in-laws. (Eatocracy)
Have a great weekend and a Happy Halloween!